Paul A. Hilding
Mr. Hilding specializes in insurance coverage and bad faith law. He represents policy holders exclusively, ranging from individuals to large publicly traded companies. In appropriate cases, he will undertake representation on a contingent fee basis. His expertise covers the full spectrum of problems that businesses and individuals typically encounter in insurance-related disputes, including:
- Insurance coverage for business litigation: While the vast majority of business disputes trigger insurance coverage obligations, insurers frequently and improperly deny coverage for such claims. Mr. Hilding has successfully sued insurers to obtain coverage for his clients for a broad variety of matters, including trademark, copyright, trade secret, fraud, tortious interference, employment and environmental pollution lawsuits.
- Counseling attorneys on optimizing insurance recoveries: Mr. Hilding is frequently retained by attorneys who are prosecuting lawsuits to assist in optimizing recoveries from defendants' insurance companies. Similarly, he has assisted defense counsel in pressuring insurers to defend and/or to settle litigation against their clients.
- Business Income Losses: Because of the somewhat speculative nature of projected income losses, and the often ambiguous language of the insurance policies, this is another area of frequent dispute and abuse by insurers. Mr. Hilding has obtained substantial recoveries from insurers who have either denied, or grossly underpaid, such claims.
- Property Losses: Mr. Hilding has assisted individuals and companies of all sizes in seeking recoveries for property losses, ranging from household fire and flood losses, to collapses, thefts, water intrusion and fires at large commercial buildings. Mr. Hilding donated more than $100,000 of his time representing homeowners who lost their homes in the October 2004 wildfires, obtaining full recoveries in each matter he handled without charging a fee.
Mr. Hilding's educational background, employment history and professional achievements are as follows:
- Education: Duke Law School, 1983; Ohio Wesleyan 1980 (Magna Cum Laude; Phi Beta Kappa).
- Employment: Founding partner, Hilding Kipnis Lyon & Kelly, 1993; Associate and Partner, Brobeck, Phleger & Harrison, 1987-1993; Associate, Higgs Fletcher & Mack, 1983-1986.
- Achievements: AV rating; Master, J. Clifford Wallace Inn of Court; San Diego Daily Transcript "Top Attorneys" recognition 2007 - 2010; Founder and past Chairman, Insurance Coverage/Bad Faith Section of the San Diego County Bar Association; Founder and past Chairman of the Carmel Valley Section of the San Diego County Bar Association.
- Lectures/Publications: Mr. Hilding is a frequent lecturer to attorneys and industry groups on the subject of insurance coverage and bad faith litigation. To view reprints of his publications and recent seminar outlines, click here.
Email Paul A. Hilding.